Skip to main content

Woosung- Wolf

So, I actually did not know who Woosung was until Face came out a couple of days ago. Face appeared on my recommended a couple of times and I was like "Fuck it, let's see what this is". I learned I was seriously missing out and Face is a total bop. I did a little research afterwards and found that Woosung is part of the band the Rose, which one of my friends mentioned a couple of times, but I never really checked them out. So, if you find any posts about The Rose in the future, it means that I finally hopped onto the wagon and started listening to The Rose, which is probably going to happen because Woosung's voice is heavenly. Anyway, I listened to Woosung's mini album Wolf to see if I just like Face or if I liked his music in general. Turns out that I just like his music in general, since I have positive opinions on all of the songs in the album. The mini album consists of 5 songs, 1 of which is an instrumental version of Face, so I'm not gonna talk about it.

1. Wolf

So, I was totally digging this song with the guitar and singing, and then Woosung whispers "Wolf" and I was taken by surprise by the following bit. After a couple of listens, I kind of gotten used to it. It kind of reminds me of LOONA's Choerry's Love Cherry Motion where it has the stark contrast between two different styles of music. For this song, I much prefer the guitar bit. Like, that was part was absolutely perfect. I loved the singing, the guitar, the snapping, it was just perfect for me. The second bit, I like the melody part in the background, and appreciate the experimentation of different genres. I'm just still a little shook by the sudden change, but I think after a few more listens I'm going to totally love this song.

2. Moon

So, this was more of what I thought Wolf would sound like. I was actually a little surprised, since it was so straight forward. My mouth literally dropped when he said "bitch", and then started laughing throughout the rest of the song. I actually kind of appreciate that because I don't think I have ever heard a kpop idol swear before and it is kind of refreshing. The only real issue I had was with him using the word "retarded" because that is derogatory to those with learning disabilities and other mental disorders, but like I understand that he did not mean it that sense. Even though, he lived in America for a while, during the time that he was living in California that word was not deemed as harmful as it is now, so it is understandable that he might not know just how bad that word is. I know a lot of people are up in arms with this, but I do think that this is an honest mistake and that Woosung needs to be educated on this, not hated for it. The song itself, I loved. It started super simple with a wood block and a guitar. Then Woosung's amazing vocals came in. It then gradually grew and grew to a very satisfying chorus. So, I really liked the song.

3. Face

This song has seriously made it in to one of my favorite songs of all time, and is by far my favorite song of the month. I would say the whole year, but I really liked Candle by Park Woo Jin and Lee Dae Hwi, which I listen to religiously. But I swear to god this song is such a fucking bop. Like if you haven't listened to it yet, here's the video. It's so good, I promise it's worth 4 minutes of your time. So it starts with this fun guitar riff. Then, of course, Woosung's gorgeous voice. I swear to god his vibrato makes me shudder, it's so good. It then grows and grows to the chorus where it drops to only bass, guitar, drums, and singing. The chorus is just so great, and so catchy. I have been randomly singing "I like your face" and " I like your taste" for the past 3-4 days nonstop. Like this song it constantly stuck in my head.

The video, I also really appreciate. I watched it like 10 times in a row, and then have continued watching it everyday since. For some reason, it starts with a still shot of Wilson from Cast Away. I don't really know what to say about that because I have no clue what that is supposed to symbolize if anything. One thing I really love about the video, other than Woosung's gorgeous face 😍 (because I like your face, Woosung 💗), is how it addresses beauty standards. The song contains individuals that are not considered beautiful by the typical Korean beauty standard or even the American one. Then with the hook "I like your face" and "I like your taste", it shows support and appreciation for those that unconventionally beautiful, which is great to see from Korean media that typically shows beauty standards that tend to be unattainable in a natural and healthy way (I have a lot of opinions on beauty standards in the kpop industry and in general). It's basically like the video as a whole is saying that everyone is beautiful, which I think is a great message.



4. Lonely

I think I actually heard this song the other day on Spotify before I listened to Face and the rest of the Wolf mini album. Honestly, I love it. This song is exactly like the type of songs that I have been listening to recently. It has that sort of coffee shop vibe to it. Like I have a particular way I describe these types of songs that make me feel like this song does. It's kind of like when it's like early summer- late spring and the weather is sunny, but not hot sticky. The heat is more like a nice warm blanket. And you're like relaxing and like about to take nap. It feels like that to me. I feel calm, comfortable, and like happy, I don't know. I love the song. It gives me that summer nap feeling, has amazing vocals, and great background music.

So, through this "experiment", I have concluded that I just really like Woosung's music. His voice is like an angel's. I literally swoon hearing his voice. This mini album as a whole I feel like I can just close my eyes and immerse myself in the brilliant artistry of these songs. I definitely will be checking out more of The Rose's and Woosung's stuff in the future. I will no longer sleep on The Rose, because this shit is amazing. It's right up my alley for my type of music and I want to hear more. So... Um... Yeah..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Produce X 101- Final Ranking

So, I was actually able to watch the entire finale. I'm still going to hold off on writing anything about the actual show portion of this episode until english subtitles are released. That being said the group name is X1. It's sweet and simple and basically sums up the premise of this season. Now onto the rankings. My current top 11 are: 1. Cho Seung Youn 2. Lee Han Gyul 3. Han Seung Woo 4. Keum Dong Hyun 5. Hwang Yun Seong 6. Kim Yo Han 7. Song Yu Vin 8. Song Hyung Jun 9. Son Dong Pyo 10. Nam Do Hyun 11. Lee Jin Hyuk I know I already changed my list from literally yesterday. I honestly happy with whatever the final ranking is as long as Cho Seung Youn and Han Seung Woo get in. If Lee Han Gyul get in, that's an extra bonus. I truly wish that all of the guys could debut in X1, which obviously is not going to happen. Anyway, onto the official rankings. 1. Kim Yo Han When they told us 1st place was down to Kim Woo Seok or Kim Yo Han, I was not surprised. I th...

Produce X 101- Second Elimination

Ok, episode 8, another elimination, but it was also mixed with the first part of the Concept Evaluation, which I will put in the Concept Evaluation post that combines all the Concept Evaluation parts. It was a nice distraction from the eliminations until they showed everyone crying having their last lessons, which honestly broke my heart because I don't want anyone to go home. For the entrances, my favorite was definitely Peak's. Other honorable mentions are Cho Seung Youn, Jeon Jae Han's and Woo Je Won's, and Park Sun Ho's. I was honestly a bit surprised by the rankings there were a some people that rose drastically like Lee Hyeop and some that dropped like Kim Min Kyu. I'm honestly so happy for those that rose up the ranks because they really deserve it, but it was really sad seeing some people's rank drop. The top 11 for this episode were: 1. Kim Woo Seok 2. Lee Jin Hyuk 3. Kim Yo Han 4. Song Hyung Jun 5. Koo Jung Mo 6. Lee Eun Sang 7. Nam Do Hy...

Produce X 101- Concept Evaluation

Ok, this is my favorite section. I love getting new songs and seeing everyone perform them. We're always fortunate enough to get gems like Never from Season 2 and No Way from the Unit. I love this. At the end of episode 5, they released brief teasers of each of the songs. From those teasers the one, I was most looking forward to was Monday to Sunday. That song is totally up my alley, and I couldn't wait to hear the full song and the choreography for it. When they showed clips of each of the songs Monday to Sunday still was my favorite but I also gained interest in U Got It and Move. I loved Cho Seung Youn with his stir fried spicy pork and his friendship with steamed rice Yo Han, but they ended up not in the same team. When they showed trainees entering practice rooms it was clear that Practice Room E was Pretty Girl with all the cute members. Super Special Girl by Kwon Deun Guk and Young Chance (Future Funk) I was so happy for Sung Yeon giving the opportunity to do main...