Skip to main content

Hotel Del Luna

SPOILER ALERT
This post may include spoilers of episodes 1-4.

I started watching Hotel Del Luna and got up to the end of episode 4, since Viki is being annoying and not allowing me to watch of the episodes that have aired. If it was fully out, I would go search for it on other sites, but since it's not I'm just going to try and gain some self control and wait it out. For those who don't know, Hotel Del Luna is a kdrama that focuses on a hotel that caters to the dead. It's run by Jang Man Wol (IU) because she is being punished for crimes that she has committed, but can't remember anymore since she has been there for a thousand years. She hires a new human manager, Goo Chan Sung (Yeo Jin Goo), who, starting episode 3, starts seeing visions of Man Wol's past. 

I like the show. It is displayed as a fantasy, mystery, and romance. I think it really intertwines fantasy and mystery very well throughout the plot. There is the mystery of  Man Wol's past and what crime was so heinous for her to get this punishment. There are plenty of absolutely horrible people out there, so why was Man Wol chosen instead of some serial killer or terrorist? There's also the question of what Chan Sung's connection with her and the tree of life(?) is. Also what's in room 404? And I still don't understand the financials of this place. There, of course, is the fantasy aspect integrated with the premise of the show. With all of the ghosts, the supernatural is heavily used in every episode with a new ghost that needs help. 

However, there is not a lot of romance, which I'm fine with because there already is a lot going on with the mystery and fantasy. There are some aspects of romance shown in the segments from the past, but nothing really between the main characters. According to the picture used on Viki for the show, there is going to to be a romance between the two, but I don't know how I feel about that. The two of them don't really have any romantic chemistry really. It is mainly like a boss and employee sort of feeling between the two. They had some moments that were supposed to be romantic but I really didn't feel anything there. They finally kissed in the end of episode 4, but I wasn't excited for it because it didn't feel like there was enough romantic buildup the past 3 episodes toward that moment. I don't know if this is intentional (I don't think it is) or if there is like an issue with the writing or acting or maybe like myself, but I really don't see this romance. For Man Wol and Go Choeng Myung (the guy from the past, which I had to look up the name for), I can really see that as a romance in the show they had that chemistry even though they have considerably less time displayed on the show. I don't know what it is but I just don't see the romance between Man Wol and Chan Sung.

I do think that the show does convey a lot of emotions(?) very well, I don't really know how to explain it. Death is constant topic in the show, so people dying are shown a lot, and some of them are really sad. In episode 4, they showed an old man who died and tried desperately to save his dog as a ghost. The dog ended up staying by the old man's side and dying as well, which was both heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. There are also comedic bits which I appreciate especially with all the heaviness created from the mystery and the deaths. 

So, yeah, this is kind of my take on this show. I haven't watched any kdramas in a long time, so it was really nice to watch this after such a long time. I think that the concept of the show itself is really interesting. I also have been really liking the scenes from Man Wol's past. Overall, I do like the show and can't wait to watch upcoming episodes. I think I'm just going to look them up instead of waiting for god knows when for Viki to finally allow me to watch more goddamn episodes. So... Um... Yeah...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Produce X 101- Final Ranking

So, I was actually able to watch the entire finale. I'm still going to hold off on writing anything about the actual show portion of this episode until english subtitles are released. That being said the group name is X1. It's sweet and simple and basically sums up the premise of this season. Now onto the rankings. My current top 11 are: 1. Cho Seung Youn 2. Lee Han Gyul 3. Han Seung Woo 4. Keum Dong Hyun 5. Hwang Yun Seong 6. Kim Yo Han 7. Song Yu Vin 8. Song Hyung Jun 9. Son Dong Pyo 10. Nam Do Hyun 11. Lee Jin Hyuk I know I already changed my list from literally yesterday. I honestly happy with whatever the final ranking is as long as Cho Seung Youn and Han Seung Woo get in. If Lee Han Gyul get in, that's an extra bonus. I truly wish that all of the guys could debut in X1, which obviously is not going to happen. Anyway, onto the official rankings. 1. Kim Yo Han When they told us 1st place was down to Kim Woo Seok or Kim Yo Han, I was not surprised. I th...

Produce X 101- Second Elimination

Ok, episode 8, another elimination, but it was also mixed with the first part of the Concept Evaluation, which I will put in the Concept Evaluation post that combines all the Concept Evaluation parts. It was a nice distraction from the eliminations until they showed everyone crying having their last lessons, which honestly broke my heart because I don't want anyone to go home. For the entrances, my favorite was definitely Peak's. Other honorable mentions are Cho Seung Youn, Jeon Jae Han's and Woo Je Won's, and Park Sun Ho's. I was honestly a bit surprised by the rankings there were a some people that rose drastically like Lee Hyeop and some that dropped like Kim Min Kyu. I'm honestly so happy for those that rose up the ranks because they really deserve it, but it was really sad seeing some people's rank drop. The top 11 for this episode were: 1. Kim Woo Seok 2. Lee Jin Hyuk 3. Kim Yo Han 4. Song Hyung Jun 5. Koo Jung Mo 6. Lee Eun Sang 7. Nam Do Hy...

Produce X 101- Concept Evaluation

Ok, this is my favorite section. I love getting new songs and seeing everyone perform them. We're always fortunate enough to get gems like Never from Season 2 and No Way from the Unit. I love this. At the end of episode 5, they released brief teasers of each of the songs. From those teasers the one, I was most looking forward to was Monday to Sunday. That song is totally up my alley, and I couldn't wait to hear the full song and the choreography for it. When they showed clips of each of the songs Monday to Sunday still was my favorite but I also gained interest in U Got It and Move. I loved Cho Seung Youn with his stir fried spicy pork and his friendship with steamed rice Yo Han, but they ended up not in the same team. When they showed trainees entering practice rooms it was clear that Practice Room E was Pretty Girl with all the cute members. Super Special Girl by Kwon Deun Guk and Young Chance (Future Funk) I was so happy for Sung Yeon giving the opportunity to do main...