Skip to main content

Lucy- Flowering/Dear

I was going through my youtube recommended when I saw this song, Flowering, and was intrigued since I had never heard of the group Lucy. Turns out, this is their debut track! I'm a bit late on this because the video was posted two weeks ago, but I absolutely love this song, so I had to write about it. I won't really talk about the video because it was just them playing their instruments for the most part.

Let's talk about Lucy, themselves. They are a four member band with Shin Yechan on violin, Choi Sangyeob on guitar and vocal, Jo Wonsang on bass and vocal (and production?!), and Shin Gwangil on drums and vocal. They were on a show called Super Band which was a show in 2019 that featured indie musicians that would compete and come together to form different bands. I have not watched the show but I think I will because I have really been getting into indie music. Also, if I could just hear more from this band and maybe find other bands with a really unique sound that would be pretty fucking epic. Maybe, I'll recap it, even though its like a year late.

Now, Flowering. It's so brilliant! There's a very clean sound to it that I have been craving with all of these kpop groups coming out with very hard hitting backbeats and constant EDM breaks. There really is just simple instrumentation, just four instruments and some editing. The production was top notch. There's ebbs and flows that makes a very smooth but engaging listen. It starts with the violin. Then it gradually builds with the addition of the vocals and guitar, followed by the addition of the drums and bass. Then it goes back down to vocals, violin, and what sounds like piano(?). Like what? This is so damn good. By going back down after that build, it keeps me wanting for that big climax. Then it builds again and of course drops before the chorus. Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, showstopper, spectacular (I swear I am not being sarcastic. This is truly brilliant. I know I am misusing this meme). This sort of building and falling continues throughout the song creating a dynamic musical masterpiece.

I looked at the lyrics for this song and damn they are poetic as fuck. It talks about, I think, about remembering an old love and trying to move on from them. It talks about how they will remember the love as something beautiful and how they don't even remember all of the bad times. They constantly use imagery throughout like referring to the hard times as a "long night of winter solstice" and referring to moving on as the income of spring. These lyrics are absolutely perfect for spring with this imagery of winter melting into spring. Not only that but it matches the song itself perfectly as well. It really fits the sound and vibe. It's just beautiful.

I also want to talk about their track Intro, presumably for Flowering, which is also amazing. There are amazing dynamics and it builds and image in your head and feels like its telling a story. It starts with a train bell like sound then a sort of music box/celeste thing. It then builds to something that sounds very traditional, like it could be the background music to a historical drama. I can just visualize walking through an old-timey marketplace. After all the building and the gorgeous orchestration it drops to that music box. It feels like there's a storyline with a person on a train leaving and opening a music box, a memento, and remembering, what feels like, the good times they had, and then closing that music box. It fits so well with Flowering both in sound and with story. This whole idea of moving on with leaving on the train and reminiscing with the music box. It is just masterfully put together.

So, I am in love with this band. I also just saw that they came out with a sign language video for this song. That is so heartwarming and so considerate of them for them to include deaf and hard of hearing community. Like please stan them. They come out with such amazing music and are just sweethearts. I really adore them and I am so watching Super Band to see more of them. This song alone is just so beautiful in every aspect with the production and the lyrics and even though I didn't talk about it the video fits as well (the coloring and those imagery scenes) and the intro. Please, please check out Dear (the combination of Intro and Flowering). It's just so good, like I can't even put into words just how magical these songs are. So, I can not stress this enough, PLEASE CHECK OUT LUCY!!! So... Um... Yeah...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Produce X 101- Final Ranking

So, I was actually able to watch the entire finale. I'm still going to hold off on writing anything about the actual show portion of this episode until english subtitles are released. That being said the group name is X1. It's sweet and simple and basically sums up the premise of this season. Now onto the rankings. My current top 11 are: 1. Cho Seung Youn 2. Lee Han Gyul 3. Han Seung Woo 4. Keum Dong Hyun 5. Hwang Yun Seong 6. Kim Yo Han 7. Song Yu Vin 8. Song Hyung Jun 9. Son Dong Pyo 10. Nam Do Hyun 11. Lee Jin Hyuk I know I already changed my list from literally yesterday. I honestly happy with whatever the final ranking is as long as Cho Seung Youn and Han Seung Woo get in. If Lee Han Gyul get in, that's an extra bonus. I truly wish that all of the guys could debut in X1, which obviously is not going to happen. Anyway, onto the official rankings. 1. Kim Yo Han When they told us 1st place was down to Kim Woo Seok or Kim Yo Han, I was not surprised. I th...

Produce X 101- Second Elimination

Ok, episode 8, another elimination, but it was also mixed with the first part of the Concept Evaluation, which I will put in the Concept Evaluation post that combines all the Concept Evaluation parts. It was a nice distraction from the eliminations until they showed everyone crying having their last lessons, which honestly broke my heart because I don't want anyone to go home. For the entrances, my favorite was definitely Peak's. Other honorable mentions are Cho Seung Youn, Jeon Jae Han's and Woo Je Won's, and Park Sun Ho's. I was honestly a bit surprised by the rankings there were a some people that rose drastically like Lee Hyeop and some that dropped like Kim Min Kyu. I'm honestly so happy for those that rose up the ranks because they really deserve it, but it was really sad seeing some people's rank drop. The top 11 for this episode were: 1. Kim Woo Seok 2. Lee Jin Hyuk 3. Kim Yo Han 4. Song Hyung Jun 5. Koo Jung Mo 6. Lee Eun Sang 7. Nam Do Hy...

Produce X 101- Concept Evaluation

Ok, this is my favorite section. I love getting new songs and seeing everyone perform them. We're always fortunate enough to get gems like Never from Season 2 and No Way from the Unit. I love this. At the end of episode 5, they released brief teasers of each of the songs. From those teasers the one, I was most looking forward to was Monday to Sunday. That song is totally up my alley, and I couldn't wait to hear the full song and the choreography for it. When they showed clips of each of the songs Monday to Sunday still was my favorite but I also gained interest in U Got It and Move. I loved Cho Seung Youn with his stir fried spicy pork and his friendship with steamed rice Yo Han, but they ended up not in the same team. When they showed trainees entering practice rooms it was clear that Practice Room E was Pretty Girl with all the cute members. Super Special Girl by Kwon Deun Guk and Young Chance (Future Funk) I was so happy for Sung Yeon giving the opportunity to do main...