Skip to main content

OnlyOneOf- libidO

I know. I have not talked about the much hyped and talked about SHINee comebacks or Lucy's comeback. I was planning it and even started a post on SHINee's album, but, as expected for me, I dropped it. ðŸ™ƒ Sorry. I absolute loved the Don't Call Me album as well as the Inside single album. I have not listened to the new songs of SHINee's repackaged album yet (with the exception of Atlantis because I watched the music video), but I'm sure I'll really dig them and I might write a post on the repackaged album. Now, Libido.

I am obsessed with this song. As always, it appeared on my YouTube recommended. I was curious, and I clicked on it. Not gonna lie, the title of the song did not register in my brain, so I was a little surprised with the music video, particularly the dancing. Of course, not in a bad way. I am huge on embracing one's sexuality and I love a sexy concept. Like you bet your ass that I am obsessed with Exo's Love Shot and Mixnine's version of My House courtesy of Wow from ACE (I am also obsessed with the original but that extra spice with the blindfolds and stuff is chefs kiss). Then, the guilty pleasure version came out and I was wondering what this could possible be. Turns out it is just the choreography version, which I tend to prefer and this was no exception. I really like to have a lot of stuff going on, and a lot of time in music videos they can have boring filler parts with still shots and stuff, but the choreography is where it's at. 

In my opinion, the most provocative part of this comeback is .... probably the whole thing like jesus christ but what are we to expect from a song called libido. When it comes to comebacks like this where it is very provocative, I am cool with anything as long as the artist is over 18 and cool with this kind of concept. For example, I love our queen Gain. She absolutely slays sexy concepts and challenges Korean society's idea of women's sexuality. She is totally comfortable and confident with this type of concept, which makes me as a consumer more comfortable watching her performances and appreciating the art. On the other side of the coin, we have Stellar's Marionette, which is notorious for being uncomfortable for the members to perform. Just through watching their performances, you can feel their discomfort, which in turn makes me very uncomfortable. So, yeah, what I'm getting at is as long as the performer is comfortable with the concept, I am cool with it. From what I see from these performances, OnlyOneOf is killing this concept and seem to be having a lot of fun, so I've been really enjoying it. 

The costumes are so simple but they are just so good. Like they're just suits with cutouts, but damn. There's a lot of skin showing, which these dudes seem totally cool with, so I am cool with it. (Unrelated but kinda related, I didn't know any of the members, so I looked them up on kprofiles and was not expecting to see a fuck ton of shirtless men. They have amazing bodies that they probably worked really hard for, so if they want to show them off who am I to stop them). My favorite styling is, of course, Mill's. I'm a sucker for men in mesh shirts and homeboy is no exception. The lyrics are, of course, quite suggestive. I didn't even have to look up the English translation to know that, but I did and I can confirm that they are. 

Now the choreography, which is what I wanted to talk about the most. Very, very sexy, especially the bridge. I am very surprised it was not banned by Korean broadcasting companies, but very happy that it wasn't. I hate censorship and homeboys are creating art and it deserves to be appreciated. I have watched many videos of compilations of dances that have banned by Korean broadcasting networks and it's just so upsetting that most of the banned dances are from female artists. One of the cases, I want to talk about is Gain's Paradise Lost. Like I said earlier, I fucking love her and Paradise Lost is an amazing art piece. The fact that it got censored is a massive shame. I love that Libido was not censored and I hope that Korean broadcasts can lend this same grace to female artists as well. For example the leg spreading dance at the top of the chorus has not been allowed for multiple female artists including 4minute and Rania. The fact that they banned it for female groups and not male groups is absolute sexist bullshit, but that does not mean that I want this move to banned for males. I just hope that this marks a more progressive and accepting period for Kpop dances on Korean broadcast television, and female artists will be allowed to use these moves if they want to in the future. However, I have feeling that the sexism will continue and women dancing these same moves will continue to be banned. 

So, I do genuinely love this song. It's insanely catchy and I love the dialogue that it opens about sexuality and television censorship. As someone with insane social anxiety, I probably won't watch the music video or any of the performances in public because they are quite suggestive. Like I'm someone who gets very embarrassed seeing any nudity in a show I'm watching with others. However, it is a bop and the dance is phenomenal, so I would highly recommend it if you are comfortable watching a more risque performance. So... Um... Yeah...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Produce X 101- Final Ranking

So, I was actually able to watch the entire finale. I'm still going to hold off on writing anything about the actual show portion of this episode until english subtitles are released. That being said the group name is X1. It's sweet and simple and basically sums up the premise of this season. Now onto the rankings. My current top 11 are: 1. Cho Seung Youn 2. Lee Han Gyul 3. Han Seung Woo 4. Keum Dong Hyun 5. Hwang Yun Seong 6. Kim Yo Han 7. Song Yu Vin 8. Song Hyung Jun 9. Son Dong Pyo 10. Nam Do Hyun 11. Lee Jin Hyuk I know I already changed my list from literally yesterday. I honestly happy with whatever the final ranking is as long as Cho Seung Youn and Han Seung Woo get in. If Lee Han Gyul get in, that's an extra bonus. I truly wish that all of the guys could debut in X1, which obviously is not going to happen. Anyway, onto the official rankings. 1. Kim Yo Han When they told us 1st place was down to Kim Woo Seok or Kim Yo Han, I was not surprised. I th...

Produce X 101- Second Elimination

Ok, episode 8, another elimination, but it was also mixed with the first part of the Concept Evaluation, which I will put in the Concept Evaluation post that combines all the Concept Evaluation parts. It was a nice distraction from the eliminations until they showed everyone crying having their last lessons, which honestly broke my heart because I don't want anyone to go home. For the entrances, my favorite was definitely Peak's. Other honorable mentions are Cho Seung Youn, Jeon Jae Han's and Woo Je Won's, and Park Sun Ho's. I was honestly a bit surprised by the rankings there were a some people that rose drastically like Lee Hyeop and some that dropped like Kim Min Kyu. I'm honestly so happy for those that rose up the ranks because they really deserve it, but it was really sad seeing some people's rank drop. The top 11 for this episode were: 1. Kim Woo Seok 2. Lee Jin Hyuk 3. Kim Yo Han 4. Song Hyung Jun 5. Koo Jung Mo 6. Lee Eun Sang 7. Nam Do Hy...

Produce X 101- Concept Evaluation

Ok, this is my favorite section. I love getting new songs and seeing everyone perform them. We're always fortunate enough to get gems like Never from Season 2 and No Way from the Unit. I love this. At the end of episode 5, they released brief teasers of each of the songs. From those teasers the one, I was most looking forward to was Monday to Sunday. That song is totally up my alley, and I couldn't wait to hear the full song and the choreography for it. When they showed clips of each of the songs Monday to Sunday still was my favorite but I also gained interest in U Got It and Move. I loved Cho Seung Youn with his stir fried spicy pork and his friendship with steamed rice Yo Han, but they ended up not in the same team. When they showed trainees entering practice rooms it was clear that Practice Room E was Pretty Girl with all the cute members. Super Special Girl by Kwon Deun Guk and Young Chance (Future Funk) I was so happy for Sung Yeon giving the opportunity to do main...