Skip to main content

SHINee- Replay

I had an idea for a post, which was to list all of the best non-title tracks SHINee has ever had because we all know there are some seriously amazing songs that fucking slap in these albums. Since, I was going to have to listen to all the albums over again, I thought that I might as well just review every single one of their albums. So here we are, SHINee's first mini album, Replay. The OG. The one that started it all. This contains one of my favorite SHINee tracks of all time Real. I did not include Replay Boom Track since it is just a remix of Replay, though it does slap. Let's just get into it.

1. Replay

Of course, this song is MVP (sorry I had to, I fucking love Onew). But yeah it's so iconic and its such a bop. It definitely has that early SHINee sound. I know that sounds really weird and obvious, but SHINee really had a distinct sound in their early songs that could be found in this song, Love Like Oxygen, Love Should Go On, Love's Way, etc. I can't really describe it. The only issue I have with this song is the line distribution, since Minho and Taemin got a lot of those tiny little adlib lines, like Taemin's part in the chorus. One thing I noticed after listening to it on repeat like 10 times was that it seems like there is a lot going on, but really it's just vocals, that recurring beat, and the synth stuff. I think what really makes this song stand out and seem like there's a lot going on is just how much is going in the vocals. There are constant adlib parts throughout the song (my favorite being at 1:52 in the music video). This makes it a very interesting listen and there's constantly more things for you to find and appreciate in every listen. I need to find an acapella version of this because I bet it's epic. The complexity of the vocal part really just shows just how great these guys are though. And when they sing all at once 😍. Anyway, this song is fucking iconic. It's a masterpiece. Amazing debut song. I love it.



2. In My Room

As soon as it began and Onew started singing, my heart started melting because his voice is just like liquid honey. One thing to note in this song is that it is just Onew, Jonghyun, and Key singing this, so Taemin and Minho fans, sorry they don't sing in this song. The song itself has that kind of  1990s-early 2000s kind of sound to it, like what I said about LOONA's Yves's new. Like always, the singing is amazing, the harmonies on point. The acoustic guitar was pretty bomb like that guitar at the end was pretty fucking great. But yeah, it's ballad, so it's not my favorite song in the album, but definitely worth listening to.

3. Real

I don't really know what I love so much about this song but it's such a bop. Not gonna lie this one of my favorite SHINee songs. The vocals and background music just fit perfectly. There are no awkward parts, everything fits together perfectly. The beginning piano solo is intense, which adds an air of mystery and sort of makes you question what they are planning afterwards. There is then a countdown sound that adds to the anticipation before the synth intro. The sound then goes towards a more syncopated and fun tone. This syncopation and variety of instruments, including violins and electric guitar, are just part of the reasons that the background instrumentals are so amazing and add to this wall of sound that makes this song so unique. As always, the vocals blow me away. The harmonies are on point and the melody is so darn catchy. I might make a separate post talking about this song in particular, since I do believe that it has so much going on and that it is one of the more underrated SHINee songs.

4. Love Should Go On

Like I said before, this song has that classic early 2000s sound. Not going to lie, this is my least favorite song in the mini-album. I love the majority of the song, particularly the acapella parts and the chorus. However, I don't like the rapping parts during the pre-chorus. I don't have an issue with the rapping parts themselves, in fact I love that Taemin and Minho get more lines, but the background music for them is just not my cup of tea. This is only applicable for the DJ Oneshot version of the song. I don't know why, but that version was the one used in the album I was listening to. I much prefer the non- DJ Oneshot version because it doesn't have that overpowering background music that I don't like during those rapping parts and the background music made the song in general flow nicer. If that version was added instead it would rank higher than In My Room for me.

Anyway, that was my review of SHINee's first mini album. It was really nice to listen to these sons again after such a long time. It makes me feel really nostalgic and brings me back to the early 2000s. It also reminded me of just how much I love SHINee, since I haven't seen anything from them in such a long time due to Minho, Key, and Onew being in the military. Overall, I love this album. Real is definitely my favorite track with Replay coming in second. The next album I am going to cover will be The SHINee World album, since that comes next chronologically. I'm super psyched for it because that means I get to listen to the classic that is The SHINee World (Doo-Bop). So... Um... Yeah...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Produce X 101- Final Ranking

So, I was actually able to watch the entire finale. I'm still going to hold off on writing anything about the actual show portion of this episode until english subtitles are released. That being said the group name is X1. It's sweet and simple and basically sums up the premise of this season. Now onto the rankings. My current top 11 are: 1. Cho Seung Youn 2. Lee Han Gyul 3. Han Seung Woo 4. Keum Dong Hyun 5. Hwang Yun Seong 6. Kim Yo Han 7. Song Yu Vin 8. Song Hyung Jun 9. Son Dong Pyo 10. Nam Do Hyun 11. Lee Jin Hyuk I know I already changed my list from literally yesterday. I honestly happy with whatever the final ranking is as long as Cho Seung Youn and Han Seung Woo get in. If Lee Han Gyul get in, that's an extra bonus. I truly wish that all of the guys could debut in X1, which obviously is not going to happen. Anyway, onto the official rankings. 1. Kim Yo Han When they told us 1st place was down to Kim Woo Seok or Kim Yo Han, I was not surprised. I th...

Produce X 101- Second Elimination

Ok, episode 8, another elimination, but it was also mixed with the first part of the Concept Evaluation, which I will put in the Concept Evaluation post that combines all the Concept Evaluation parts. It was a nice distraction from the eliminations until they showed everyone crying having their last lessons, which honestly broke my heart because I don't want anyone to go home. For the entrances, my favorite was definitely Peak's. Other honorable mentions are Cho Seung Youn, Jeon Jae Han's and Woo Je Won's, and Park Sun Ho's. I was honestly a bit surprised by the rankings there were a some people that rose drastically like Lee Hyeop and some that dropped like Kim Min Kyu. I'm honestly so happy for those that rose up the ranks because they really deserve it, but it was really sad seeing some people's rank drop. The top 11 for this episode were: 1. Kim Woo Seok 2. Lee Jin Hyuk 3. Kim Yo Han 4. Song Hyung Jun 5. Koo Jung Mo 6. Lee Eun Sang 7. Nam Do Hy...

Produce X 101- Concept Evaluation

Ok, this is my favorite section. I love getting new songs and seeing everyone perform them. We're always fortunate enough to get gems like Never from Season 2 and No Way from the Unit. I love this. At the end of episode 5, they released brief teasers of each of the songs. From those teasers the one, I was most looking forward to was Monday to Sunday. That song is totally up my alley, and I couldn't wait to hear the full song and the choreography for it. When they showed clips of each of the songs Monday to Sunday still was my favorite but I also gained interest in U Got It and Move. I loved Cho Seung Youn with his stir fried spicy pork and his friendship with steamed rice Yo Han, but they ended up not in the same team. When they showed trainees entering practice rooms it was clear that Practice Room E was Pretty Girl with all the cute members. Super Special Girl by Kwon Deun Guk and Young Chance (Future Funk) I was so happy for Sung Yeon giving the opportunity to do main...